Thursday 17 July 2014

Gannets Galore - Part 1

  As I said in my latest post, I've had more than a few visits already to Hermaness this year - and hopefully a few more before the season ends in mid October. I had hoped to try and follow the birds through their season this year, but already there are photographic gaps in their breeding progress. That said, the bits I've missed this year, I already have pictures of from the last one - but there is always the 'need' to improve on the results.

  The 1st visit this year was on 19th Feb and already there were lots of birds on the cliffs; that said, I took a visit a week later and some areas were devoid of birds........

The Neap 19th Feb 2014

   Returning again around a week later, there was a lot more activity and this was to only increase as the weeks went by.....

 Looking north towards Clingra Stack (centre top)

 Gannets over 'The Greing'

 Part of Humla Stack

The top of Clingra Stack

    End of March........




  Due to the Easter hols', I didn't get back to the cliffs until the end of the 3rd week of April........

 .... and by now breeding was well underway.


  Once I knew that the birds were sitting on eggs, I kept well away from the nesting birds as any disturbance by me, could lead to panic in the colony and eggs getting broken or stolen by the ever present gulls. I thought this was a good opportunity to look for different viewpoints and locations for different times of the day and lighting conditions. Going up there on June 24th, I was really surprised how advanced some of the gugas (young gannets) were........

Saito June 24th 2014
A sad 'sign of the times' ?

  Below are few of my favourites from May/June and early July this year......















Gannet and a 'Simmer Dim' sunset on June 21st

         
                    Robbie

2 comments:

MW said...

Mickle Flugga in the mist, with gannets - what a fabulous picture. Worthy of an enlargement over a mantle shelf, Magic!

robbieb said...

Many thanks Mark, its quite satisfying when you have an idea and then quite by chance, the weather is right at the right time.